Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Sweet Bertha"

I met Bertha Montez about five years ago while I was teaching water aerobics at Ultra Fitness in Mesa. She was one of the participants of my class. She hardly speaks any English...and I hardly speak any Spanish...but somehow we became fast friends! I took four years of Spanish throughout High School and College...but I still speak at the level of a three year old! Somehow, I found out that she cleaned houses...and so I invited her over to clean mine...the rest is history! She has been cleaning my house for the last five years...but more importantly...she has become an extended member of our family. My kids love her and she loves them! She tries to teach them a few words here and there of Spanish...and in return...they always tell her, "Te Amo" or "I love you"! For many years I have felt a kindred spirit in Bertha...she has such a sweet spirit about her...and she is so generous and kind! She has done SOOOOOO much for my family...and I wanted to do something for her. She has often spoken of the special spirit that she feels within the walls of our home...and within the walls of my mom's home...and how peaceful and tranquil she feels while she is here. I have so badly wanted to share the gospel with her...and tell her that the peaceful feeling that she has felt...is the spirit...and that she can take it with her where ever she goes. This last Monday...I invited her to come to eat pizza with David, me and the kids...I also invited my mom and sister and her two girls. We ate at Pizza Mart on Main st. in Mesa and then went on a spanish tour at the Visitor Center. We watched a presentation in Spanish as well - that was about eternal families. At the end of the presentation...I did my best to bear my testimony in Spanish to my dear friend. I know that my words were limited...and my efforts were minimal in communicating what I felt...but somehow it didn't matter...somehow the spirit took over and testified of the truth of what I was saying. I told her that when Cosette had her accident and I didn't know whether she would live or die...that somehow I felt great peace because of the spirit of the Lord...and because I knew that no matter what happened...Cosette would be mine forever...and I would see her again. I told her that I knew the Savior lived...and that I have great faith that he walks with us through our trials and tribulations. I told her how much my family and I loved her...and how I hoped she could feel the same spirit that I was talking about. I was in tears...and I know that it touched her too! The missionary asked her if she would like to have the missionaries come into her home...and at first she was hesitant...she said that she was already a Christian and that she was happy where she was in her life...and with the church that she attended. The missionary asked her if she would like to know how to be even more happy...and she said yes. She accepted the missionaries! I know that this is just the beginning...but I pray that the right missionaries will be sent to her home...and that she will be able to gain a testimony of the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. No matter what happens...I will always cherish this sweet experience...and the fact that all of my kids were involved with it! I will ALWAYS love Bertha...no matter what choice she may make...and I will be forever grateful that the Lord brought her into our lives! I am not so much concerned if "this" time will turn into the "time" that brought her to the waters of baptism...because no matter what her choice...I know that she was touched and that it is just one more "seed" planted in her journey to the truth. Plus, I am at peace that I have done everything within my power to do my part to show her the way. The rest is up to the Lord's timing...and where Bertha is with things! Life is a journey...not a destination...and I am enjoying every step a long it's path! I would like my kids to know that I do believe that the Lord lives and loves us...no matter who we are or what we have done! I want them to know that I believe the Lord restored his church through a fourteen year old boy in the Sacred Grove! I want them to know that I know that the Lord is a merciful Savior filled with compassion and grace...and that if we will only turn to him throughout our lives...and give him the control of our lives...then he shall FOREVER walk by our sides...through the joy and the pain! He will lift us when we are faint...and carry us when we can no longer go on! This I testify in his holy name...even our Savior and Redeemer...Jesus Christ, Amen! ~Christina

No comments: